I love making food over the fire! There are so many great things you can make with a pie iron. Everything from sweet to savory can be stuffed between some bread. This is a great combo of flavors we came across. The marshmallows are truly the key. They bring it together and create great texture. Ingredients:
2 pieces Cinnamon bread or white sandwich bread
2 tablespoons cherry pie filling
1- 2 inch square milk chocolate
6-8 mini marshmallows
butter, to taste
1. Butter one side on each piece of bread.
2. Put one piece of bread butter side down in a pie iron.
3. Place the chocolate, pie filling, and marshmallows on the bread keeping them away from the edges.
4. Place the other piece of bread on top with the butter facing out. Carefully close and lock the pie iron.
5. Cook in a fire, turning often until the bread is nicely toasted. (Using the coals is quicker and bakes more evenly)
Tips: If you use soft, white bread, like Nickel’s or Wonder, the pie iron will seal the edges together.